We boarded our ferry to Picton in the afternoon and settled in for a few hours of doing absolutely nothing, which is always a great option for me. During the crossing we sipped tea, played cards and also spotted a pod of dolphins (which I found ridiculously exciting) aswell as each taking micro naps. The journey along the Cook strait was very beautiful, particularly as we entered the Marlborough sounds. I had my eyes peeled for whales but to no avail.


I’d been told by many people that the South island was way more beautiful than the North and as we neared Picton, it certainly seemed that way. As far as first impressions go, it was a pretty good one, and seeing the quaint little seaside town on the horizon definitely filled me with excitement.

Fresh off the boat, we tootled along to our hostel, The Fat Cod Backpackers. This is one of the nicest hostels I’ve stayed at during my time in New Zealand, it was lovely, very homey, and REALLY comfy beds. We all had dinner and decided to head out for a drink at the local Irish pub. It being Valentines Day, I should say that we did get some questionable looks as we rocked up to the bar as a threesome!

The next day we set out to the Edwin Fox maritime museum which Ben, being a Navy boy, was very excited about. The Edwin Fox is the 9th oldest ship in the world and I have to admit, it was really impressive. We actually got to climb aboard and go below deck, which was eerie but so impressive.


Fresh from our tour of the museum, we went in search of ice cream, something that was becoming a regular occurrence when the three of us were together. Another thing we did, that would also become a regular activity for the trio, was MINI GOLF. I love mini golf despite being terrible at it and luckily, the Canadians were always down to play too. We also stopped by the National Whale Centre, where I could’ve spent all my money but DIDN’T. The rest of the afternoon was spent soaking up the homely vibes of the hostel, because when you find a good one you really want to make the most of it.

The next day we decided to take advantage of the three free bikes that the hostel had to offer and so we set out for Waikawa Bay, a 10km round trip. I haven’t ridden a bike since I was about 11 years old so I definitely slowed the other two down. I can also safely say that I won’t be making a habit of riding a bike anytime soon because oh my god, the literal pain in the arse is real! This being said, it was a nice trip out and we got to go for a bit of a swim too. Well, Ben and I did, Harrison forgot his swim shorts.

That night, armed with a 2 litre tub of ice cream, that we reluctantly (just kidding) shared with the other hostel guests, we settled down to watch a movie in the common area. I was ecstatic to learn that the hostel had a copy of What We Do In The Shadows, my favourite film!! It went down a treat and I went to bed very happy that night.

The next day was one of the worst we’ve had weather wise, with constant rain from noon to night. We were booked in on a coach to Nelson, but not until about 6PM so we had a lot of time to kill (and you’re supposed to check out of your hostel at 10AM as standard). To kill the time, we played a lot of pool and I absolutely caned Harrison at scrabble, before we went in search of burgers and hot dogs for lunch at the local arcade– hey, we’re classy.

Next (very brief) stop, Nelson.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s